Situated in the access to the Yongjiang River in the northern of Ningbo, Zhaobaoshan Scenic Area is an integrated scenic area, incorporating sea scenery, human landscape, and the ruins of coastal defense along with religious and cultural activity. As the access of Yongjiang River, it faces the East China Sea on the east, connects the ancient seawall on the west and stands opposite to Jinji Hill across the Yongjiang River. As the vital passage of Zhejiang Province, it enjoys the reputation of "Yumen Pass in the east of Zhejiang Province and has always been a passage of strategic importance.
Zhaobaoshan Scenic Area consists of many scenic spots. such as One-Hundred-Pace Causeway, the No. 1 Mountain Tablet, the Mid-Hill Pavilion, Qi Zhi Ping, Wei Yuan Cheng, Stone Tablet of the Ming Dynasty and the Qing Dynasty, Baotuo Temple, Blockhouse in the War of Resistance against Japan, the Immortals Cave, Tablet Pavilion, Aozhu Pagoda, Yue Cheng, Dengyunlu Memorial gateway, Black Bamboo Grove, Cliff Carving, and the Historical Memorial Hall of Coastal Defense.
Sanskrit scripts were found on the cliff of Zhaobao Hill in the south of Nanlingyun Road during a cleaning process of mountain scenery in 1984. The scripts are six characters a line, and can be translated into Chinese: 晻 (Àn) 嘛 (Ma) 呢 (Ne) 叭 (Ba) 咪 (Mī) 哄 (Hōng), which is a six word incantation of Esoteric Buddhism. They are scripts of ancient India, but the carving time is still unknown.
The Immortals' Cave (also named Xianren Cave, Chaoyin Cave and Kuan-yin Cave), is one of the 12 attractions of the Zhaobao Mount. Within the cave is a Guanian (Waves Watching) Covent, which is named after the huge waves outside the cave. There are grotesque rocks inside and a doorway to the sea. Two massive rocks stand opposite to each other and form a one-line sky. There is a spring giving musical sounds. It's said the water is sweet, cool and refreshing. Previously there was a cliff inscription by Lu Tang, which read "The First Pass Resisting Japanese Pirates".
Aozhu Pagoda, rebuilt in 1998, is 57.6 meters tall with seven floors and eight corners, and its top is made of bronze. It is the highest place in Zhaobaoshan Scenic Area to gain distant views of the sea and its tides.
Guanyin Pavilion, first built in the Ming Dynasty, is destroyed several times. Monk Miaoshan built is at the former place in 1917 and it was destroyed by the War of Resistance against Japan. Shi Zhirou rebuilt it in 1985, enshrined and worshipped Guanyin (Goddess of Mercy with a Thousand Arms) inside and called it Guanyin Pavilion. Now pilgrims come in endless streams and the sounds of bell and drum linger around. It is one of the most important scenic spots in the north of Zhaobaoshan Scenic Area.
In order to defend the area against Japanese Pirates and sea rovers, Ming Government began to build Wei Yuan Cheng in 1560, which was more than 200 Zhang in length (1 Zhang is equal to 3.2 meters), 1 Zhang thick and 2 Zhang 2 Chi high. The gate tower has a gate on the north and the east side. There is an inscription of "Wei Yuan Cheng" on the lintel of the east gate by County Magistrate Guo Chunzhang during Dao Guang's reign of the Qing Dynasty. So far, Wei Yuan Cheng is kept in good condition and is designated as the historic and cultural relics under state protection and one of the most important coast defense sites of Zhenhai Seaport.